About Family Academy & Family Directed Education
As members of the body of Christ, our goal is to serve. We serve professional educators and families, helping them to work with one another in serving the student.
Why We exist:
Family Academy was founded in the early 1980’s by two certified teachers as a private school extension program to home-schoolers under the home-schooling law of Washington State. Desiring to help families nation-wide, the organization restructured into a membership organization in 2003.
Family Academy seeks to fit education to the child, and equip parents to implement it. We believe that parents (and Guardians) are in a God-appointed role. Through our Able To Teach course and by partnering with a Family Academy Teacher-Consultant (TC) we help the family choose what will be studied—according to the student’s need and the parent’s desires and abilities.
We at Family Academy –
- Inspire students to thrive
- Encourage parents to educate
- Equip teachers to serve
- Impact future generations
… is to put parents in the “driver’s seat” of their children’s education; and support growth into God-given purposes.
- The Bible is true, authoritative
- We work to build and keep grace-filled relationships in our own families and our FA community
- Each person is unique—a special work of God
- Being purposeful, teachable and disciplined
- Faithful stewardship of gifts, lives, resource
FA PHILOSOPHY: OUR MODEL
The philosophy of Family Academy begins with the Biblical worldview showing that
- Each child is unique and of equal precious value before God,
- Learning takes place best within the context of meaningful relationships, and
- Parents should exercise the primary teaching influence during the K-12 years.
Our role is to reinforce the family’s values and goals, to help develop faith and character, strengthening the family unit.