Able To Teach
(Parent Qualifying Course)
*Able to Teach is now offered on Multnomah Plus, and includes a full year subscription to Family Academy® Family Membership*
Thinking about homeschooling but unsure about how to begin?
Children of home educators are far more successful compared to those in traditional classrooms, both public and private, which is one of the big reasons parents home-school. However, research indicates it takes a two-year learning curve for most parents to find effective ways to tailor academics to their children’s learning needs. After two years, the reasons for home educating usually change from didactic (just providing a good education) and ideological, to a complete worldview and lifestyle change for the child.
Our Able to Teach course can help to significantly shorten that two-year learning curve and also help the veteran home-schooler recharge with fresh ideas developed by two experienced homeschooling moms and certified teachers, “Able to Teach”, an invaluably informative course on effective home education, provides a smorgasbord of teaching strategies and resources to pick from and try. Through the Able to Teach course, parents can learn how to individualize home instruction to meet their child’s unique needs. The end of each session provides additional spiritual development ideas as well. 20 hours over approximately 4 weeks. A self-paced course, available online at your convenience or through live instruction at select locations.
For WA State residents, any format of this course meets the state requirement as a parent qualifying course. Family academy will provide a discount for those needing the certification to homeschool in Washington state.
This course offers instruction in all the areas critical to successful homeschooling. Like the proverb, we don’t give you the fish (a home-school system), we teach you to fish (effective home education methods).
- Determining your child’s and your own learning style
- Choosing the right resources and curriculum from kindergarten through high school
- Nurturing creativity & thinking skills
- Child growth and development
- Brain research
- Achieving math success (in parent and child)
- Character building and spiritual growth (parent, child, & family)
- Legal and personal requirements
- Developing a personal philosophy of education
- Finding support for immediate and long-term success
- Simple home & home-school management
- Your questions and concerns
Classes: Able to Teach Online
- Open enrollment year round
- Self-paced (over 4-week window once you have received your course work text in the mail)
- Phone appointment with on-line instructor at course completion
Able to Teach Live & Hybrid Classes
Currently these formats can be arranged in Puget Sound area of Washington State only. Class days and times will vary.
- The live Able to Teach course encompasses a total of 17 hours of in-class instruction. Live classes can be arranged with a minimum registration of 10 individuals or 7 couples.
- A hybrid format encompasses a combination of live classes combined with online instruction over 6 weeks. Hybrid classes are arranged with a minimum registration of 8 individuals or 5 couples.
- If interested in arranging either a live class or a hybrid class call Diana at 425-346-9423, office (206) 928-2934, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Register here for Able to Teach online course (Existing members will receive a discount)
View the Course Syllabus here
View Washington’s Homeschool Law here